Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Leapin' Lizards!

Yesterday I was vacumming my house (my favorite chore!) when I saw something scurrying across the floor out of the corner of my eye. My initial thought was "YIKES! GREAT BIG SPIDER" but upon closer examination I discovered that it was a lizard. In my house. And so I did what any other rational person would do-- I started screaming and dancing about. Kelsie, Jackson, and Chloe ran to my rescue but they all froze when I pointed out the unwelcome visitor. Wally wasn't home (not that he would be much help if he were home-- let's face it, when it comes to critters, Wally is a bit of a pansy) so I told Jackson that since he is my firstborn son that removing the lizard was his responsibility. He takes after his dad and refused. Good thing Kelsie was there! She grabbed a cup and trapped the lizard, then took it outside and let it go on the trail behind our house. She definitely earned her keep this week!

9 comments:

Wally said...

In my defense, if you have seen the spiders in Texas you would also look for the nearest exit conseding victory to the arachnid.

Sarah said...

Hey, you stay up way to late updating your blog too! Your kids are too cute - and the one that saved you and the other 2 kids from imminent death is definitely a keeper.

Glad things are going so well for you!

sjw (i.e. Sarah from way back in the day)

Sarah said...

Ok, so 8:58 p.m. is not WAY too late - even for people over 30...

Claudia said...

Those *&#$%^* lizards drive me crazy! In addition to finding them in my house every few weeks, I found one in the mailbox the other day. I felt like I was in a horror movie - something lurking in the dark waiting to reach out and grab me. Remember, they are more afraid of you than you are of them... yeah, right.

tristanjh said...

I once had to catch a frog in our house. A 3-year-old Skylar had found it while exploring with his dad and wanted to keep it for a pet. Within 24 hours, however, it was clearly distressed and we convinced Sky to put it back in the pond. Just inches from the door it escaped. I had to decide whether to touch the slimy little monster or sniff out the dead carcus in a few weeks. I opted for the former. Ick!

As for the spiders, I'd have an ongoing arrangement with Terminex!

lyssamcaleavy said...

Evonne...we also found a lizard and Matthew grabbed it's tail and of course it came off...yuck! Although, last night there actually was a huge spider in our family room. Sean caught it! I'm glad he was home. I love your blog! See you tonight for your birthday ice cream!

Bridget said...

My oldest (Sage) would have been the one to catch the lizard too. I would have been afraid the tail would come off and then I would be holding a tail and screaming. Yikes! Your blog looks really cute!

Sherrie said...

If the spiders are anything like they are here I would leave as well. I don't do bugs!

LoriT said...

Kelsie is my HERO! I'm calling HER the next time I see anything creepy crawly in my house.